Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Norwegian Knitted Christmas Balls


Well, I've been knitting away at my Norwegian Christmas balls on and off since September (see my previous post). I meant to collect a large number and post a photograph of them, but I've been mailing them off to people as Christmas presents as fast as I can make them. So you are only seeing five of them here. In all, I think I have made 17 or 18, so far, and have at least another 8 or so to do before Christmas. And I am determined to make a couple for myself! Each one is taking around 3 hours to knit and another half hour to stuff it with craft wool and attach the hanging loop.

When my Grandmother Baba was alive, she made small needlepoint ornaments for all her children and grandchildren. We each got one every year for Christmas. Baba has been gone for many years now. I still miss her and I treasure the needlepoint ornaments she made for me. I'm having so much fun knitting these Norwegian Christmas balls, I think I will do it every year and carry on my grandmother's tradition, in my own way.

Merry Christmas, Everyone! Whatever your faith tradition, may you be surrounded by the warm love of family and friends. May you be well.

One of Baba's needlepoint ornaments

2 comments:

Tessa @ Lighting the World on Fire said...

these are so beautiful!

Debra said...

Thanks, Tessa. They're a lot of fun to make!