Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Mother - Daughter Quilt Date


If you follow my daughter's knitting blog, Will Knit for Math then you already know that we had a Mother - Daughter quilt date last night. We each bought a couple of jelly rolls at the Houston Quilt Festival last month with the intention of doing long distance quilt projects "together."

For our first project, we are making Jelly Roll Race quilts. Last night we sewed the forty 2 1/2 inch wide jelly roll strips together using 45 degree angled seams,for a total of more than 1600 inches of fabric! The woman in the youtube tutorial video pieced the entire top together in 45 minutes! She didn't pin or mark any seams and just zipped right through them. I didn't pin or mark my seams either, and I had to take the first several seams apart and start over because I had sewn "right" sides to "wrong" sides. This took about 20 minutes. But after starting over, I got the hang of it pretty quickly and it took me a little less than an hour to finish sewing all the pieces together. By then it was getting to be bedtime, so I stopped. This afternoon I checked all my seams and only found one I want to take out and redo because it is off a bit. Not bad. I, too, will trim and press the seams before proceeding with the next step.

Katherine's fabrics are colorful and fun! My jelly roll is called "Caribbean Blues," a collection of blue batik fabrics I purchased from Fabric Fanatics. So my quilt will be monochrome blues with some greens, yellows and pinks. I was afraid that it would be somewhat boring, but there is actually more contrast and interest in the fabrics that I expected,and more than you can see in the photograph. I can't wait to see the finished quilt! And this is so fun to do with Katherine!

No comments: