Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Welcome to Will Knit Mindfully!

Welcome to my new blog!  I am an oncology and palliative care nurse.  I am also a student of Thich Nhat Hanh, practicing mindfulness to transform my heart and mind.  When I am not nursing or meditating, I love to knit, handweave, and quilt and I am learning to tat.  After enjoying my daughter's knitting blog, Will Knit for Math, for a nearly a year, I decided to start my own blog.  We both enjoy a love of handwork passed down to us from my grandmother, Baba, who was born in 1903 and who made many beautiful things by hand during her life in New Mexico and north Texas.  Katherine also has a rich heritage of handwork from her Danish grandmother on her father's side of the family.  My own start with knitting came at age 8 when I taught myself to knit from an article in the Book of Knowledge, a children's encyclopedia that my parents bought for me and my sister that year.  In addition to posts about my handwork projects and mindfulness, I may also share a bit about my vegetarian, gluten free wellness lifestyle, since I have celiac disease and like to cook.

This is my current "carry with me everywhere" project, a beautiful little baby blanket knitted using self striping sock yarn.  The yarn is a machine washable wool nylon mix.


The blanket is knit in small pieces which are sewn together in a modified log cabin patchwork style to make the blanket.

No comments: